Re: [microsound] input + software = output

eric hill wrote:

> >element of human
> >input...
>
> what other kind of input does the software have? randomized elements
> aren't exactly the zenith of articulation, so while there is a whole world
> of abstract input and composition tools and techniques (spatial response
> triggers or wires hooked up to a plant or whatever), the human is what
> sets up the criteria for inclusion in the output.

Of course, but there are a number of set algorythms that can be used
without much brain power or aesthetic sense (oh my, did I just stray
into a critical snipe?!), cookie cutter music is easier than ever...
and, of course, so is experimentation at many points in the process.

> it is definitely the case that the "input + software" is a feedback loop
> of multiple stages (inspiration, coding, image preparation,
> post-processing, etc.), but in the case of the "musical actions" of this
> music - the performance method basically mirrors the compositional
> gestures that we see the wire reacting against - theres really just no way
> around the fact that there are no guitars or drums involved, and music
> criticism is going to have to adapt to this kind of death of visual
> virtuosity. as an attempt through this (or perhaps it was just an
> anachronism),

An interesting point for sure. The nature of performance needs serious
reevaluation, IMO... for instance I cannot understand the mimicking of
rock show attitudes in the audience of various powerbook performances
(rock out, dude), when the form is so different. It's still nice to have
the interaction, to hear stuff on BIG speakers, etc., but what else? And
I totally agree that the lack of visual virtuosity needs to be accepted
as another method/style of presenting music.

> probably the most direct way to short-circuit the dismissal of push-button
> music would be to project the laptop's display onto a screen that the
> audience can see. it's the closest thing to the visual representation of
> what's coming out of the speakers: "yeah, he's moving the slider up!"
> <headbanging starts>

Which leads me to ask the question, if DJing is accepted as a
"legitimate" performance art, why not powerbook performing... they're
just virtual sliders...

the foundry
realaudio samples via:
http://www.foundrysite.com/sounds1.html

out now...
eM <the motor sessions ep> (lmtd. 7"/lmtd. cdr)
the foundry <mote> (cd)

and...
eM remix on <knots> issued on thousand/wmo
http://wiremailorder.com/thousand/knots.htm