(idm) call for papers, URB

I'm forwarding to the lists something I got from a colleague (sorry for
the crossposts); perhaps there could be some representation of IDM,
glitch, microwave, minimalism, or  techno offshoots.  I'm not sure what
ASA stands for . . .

Also, should I dare ask if anyone has seen the recent issue of _URB_?  A
special issue on the "future of music," with Sean Booth and Markus Popp
talking about computer-based music, Stewart Walker interviewing Richie
Hawtin on the future of techno, a rather focused and readable treatise
on the landscape of the next century by DJ Spooky, quoted appearances by
Jeff Waye of NinjaTune and mention of Smallfish, etc.  I have a
love/hate relationship with _URB_ magazine, but this issue, at first
read, comes off sincere and well thought out.  Any thoughts?

G.

++++++++++++++++++++

Call for Papers
for the October, 2000 ASA conference in Detroit

Techno Music >>>>>>>>>>
   fastforward from local history to global market

The choice of Detroit as a venue may be fortuitous:
Detroit lies at one important point of origin for
the now-global genre of dance music known as techno.
We invite papers on the local history informing this
genre as well as the globalizing processes which
established its popularity far beyond regional and
national boundaries.  Bridges between these two
extremes would be equally appreciated, in line with
the conference theme.  We are also strongly
interested in papers which examine the cultural
poetics of techno, or which engage in questions of
inhabitability, reification, and (re)appropriation.

Please email paper proposals by 1/10/00 to
ab0786@xxxxxxxxx

or send to Marc Christensen, English Dept.
Wayne State University, Detroit MI 48202.