Re: [microsound] fennesz & o'rourke live?

At 07:43 AM 1/21/00 +1100, you wrote:
>Fennoberg cd is real good improv electronics, very abstract...and even has a
>Gescom sample in the second last track!!!

autechre, actually, but THANK YOU for helping solve that riddle for me.
"softballetforms" has been in the back of the bins for awhile. in fact,
there are tons of hilarious samples that just pop into the mix for a few
moments before being whisked away on a never-ending tide of shifting
intentions. and the extended march on "fennoberg theme" kills me.

this record is really growing on me. the first time i heard it, it struck
me as a little bland, but i think i hadn't managed to get my head fully
around it. now i'm struck by the diversity of the material -- how much
space it covers without sounding incoherent, sort of like recent farmers
manual, but with the gorgeous textural elements of fennesz and (presumably)
o'rourke filling things out. it's grandiose and irreverent and over the
top, but also, in its way, wide-eyed and charming.

sc

onnow: papa m : live from a shark cage (drag city)