Re: [microsound] top 10 fav

From: Ross <amnesia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I also have some electronic music that i recorded off the radio in the
early
>80s. it sounds like a demented marching band....i'd love to find out who it
is.....

Trevor Wishart's "Beach Singularity?"
your description is a little vague, but this would be my best guess.

Paradigm Discs reissued "Beach Singularity" in 1997, along with the
fantastic "Menagerie" (miniature concrète pieces composed by Wishart and
inspired by an exhibition of Fluxus-inspired assemblages). the original,
self-released LP containing these two pieces is still available - check
Anomalous - but the CD adds "Vocalise," a Schwitters-like solo performance
given by Wishart at the ReR space in March, 1991.

i wrote this at the time of the reissue - don't believe i ran it anywhere,
though.

TREVOR WISHART & FRIENDS
Menagerie/Beach Singularity/Vocalise
Paradigm Discs U.K.

...."Beach Singularity" (1977)... Wishart's Palm Beach Orchestra regaled the
unsuspecting vacationers at a beachfront holiday resort. From within a
constructed maze of plastic sheeting, the festively costumed (and uninvited)
PBO played a repertoire of traditional seaside tunes. Familiar strains of
such songs as "How Much is That Doggie in the Window?," "Surfin' USA," and
Fucik's "Entry of the Gladiators" bellowed from loudspeakers, luring
vacationers into the PBO's makeshift labyrinth. As crowds grew, Wishart
introduced prerecorded tape pieces, live electronics, and sound effects,
while the PBO players indulged in freely improvised asides. All this
cummulative "singularity" derailed the ensemble's already off-kilter
arrangements, delivering the performance into the arena of hyperbolic,
Residents-like wackiness. One imagines that the
spectators-turned-participants were left scratching their heads. Wishart
pieced together the 20-minute "Beach Singularity" from excerpts of the
full-day performance--and it sounds as unfocused as you'd expect.
Nonetheless, Wishart's highly musical piece captures the cavorting spectacle
of his unique beach-front fete-- and leaves little doubt that the PBO
experience was far more than just another day in the seaside sun.

this may or may not be what you heard.
either way, it's worth checking out.

gg/
gg2g4ink@xxxxxxxxxxx

"though his words were twisted, the naked magic thrived."