jim o'rourke and the laptop lapdance

microsound-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< did anybody else listen to this? it was quite good. i'm sure that you lose
 out, not being there. real audio isn't the best way to experience such
 music. i'm not very familiar with gunter muller, but his contributions were
 very intense. it was funny to hear material from o'rourke's most recent
 collaboration with peter rehberg and fennesz. i would never have guessed
 that o'rourke would have been the creator of those sounds. i didn't hear
 the entire performance, does anybody know exactly how long it was? >>

yeah, i listened to it! i thought it was pretty great too. i had no idea what
to expect, so i didn't expect much. but i liked what i heard. i have about a
half an hour of it on tape, and it starts and cuts off at perfect times, so i
don't know exactly how long it is. i've got to a wake up at 6:00 every
morning for school, and right after school i go to work for four hours, so
sleep is always much needed. i set my alarm for 1:00, figuring that's about
what time the live performance would be on, and let nature take its course.
natural, when my alarm went off i was confused as all hell. some how i got my
shit together, pressed record on the tape player, and slipped back into
slumber land. the next morning, a tape filled with goodies all for me. the
first half, i'm not so impressed with. a little cold and harsh, like
microstoria on a bad day. i like to call it pots and pans. but the second
half is amazing. it's the most melodic deep sounds, swirlies, and sparkles,
and sounds more like a song and less like a kitchen. then there's these
female vocals, all cut up, along with some orchastra sounding pop all cut up,
and it sounds real good. how's that cd with fennesz and rehberg compare yo?

peace_christianjaysienkiewicz