Re: [microsound] Ikeda?

duul_drv:

>wow! where did you see this? what are the chances of it being on video in
>North america -canada?on stock?

i've seen it twice actually, once on german tv two years ago and now in a
cinema in berlin (as part of a series on korean cinema). it's available on
video. for links, check http://us.imdb.com/Title?0112257 ...

>if you've seen dumb type perform live, did '301 302' have any semblance to
>the performance? do you know the director's name? It wouldn't surprise me if
>the director is or has been part of the dumb type collective.

i don't know other work by chul-soo park, but i doubt he's been part of
dumb type. it also doesn't have any direct links with what they do - apart
from the fact that, like in their work, a specific concept - here, the
relationship between food and sex - is played out to the limit. individual
isolation in the modern world is also a topic in both. but it really looks
like it's simply uncredited use of the music. i didn't read the korean
credits though, maybe they were mentioned.

 When I
>interview Ikeda he mentioned there were film and video makers among them,
>but nothing of a project that was on the verge of completion. I have to see
>this film. would you mind emailing me off the list with a brief summary of
>the film?

just check the imdb page above, there's enough info there! or the official
page that danny wyatt mentioned.

Joshua Maremont:

"301, 302" is a quite twisted movie about eating and cooking, and quite
surprisingly I found it a my local video shop.

if you expect another eat drink man woman or tampopo then, you'll be
surprised! despite all the aesthetic pictures of food preparation, not many
people leave the cinema with appetite. i should perhaps add i really like
the film.

  I was even more surprised
by the uncredited use of Dumb Type (from "S/N") in the soundtrack,
although I recognized no Ikedistics there.

there's a rather intense scene in the film where 302's father comes into
her room in the evening, trying to harass her. this time, she fights back,
kicks him and escapes. the whole fight scene happens in slow motion and
without sound, except for the "music" which is just a heavy bass rumble and
a typical periodic ikeda blip sound marking the (slowed down) passing of
time. this motive recurs later in the movie. i don't recognize this passage
from any other work by dumb type or ikeda, but maybe that's just my limited
knowledge of dumb type's work.

cheers,
p.