Re: [microsound] machine soul: oxymoron?

> First of all, somewhat amusing to see Battaglia's idealistic take on
> electronic music set against Goldberg's jaded critique.  And while I
> appreciate his favorable review, I reiterate my question:  why the hell does
> every electronic music review in a mag like Salon have to begin from outside
> the work, looking at the genre through a telescope?

in fact, this is an interesting take: the whole time when it's not
'mainstream', any genre will be looked at through this telescopic view.
(all kinds of non-pop music have the same exact problem.)  then, when
parts of it do become mainstream, other journalists will point at that &
say 'ah-ha!!!  told you so!!!' or something.  it's like, you can't be
small & you can't be big.  especially if you look weird.

~ david