Re: [microsound] tortoise/djed

> I just wanted to add one track to this thread, 'djed' from tortoise's second
> album 'millions now living...'
> about half way through this 20 minute track the composition breaks down to
> this mutating cd sound, glitch- but is worked into this great abstract beat.

i read in an old issue of raygun (i think) that the tape glitch halfway
was actually purely accidental but that they liked the sound so much
that they used it to create a segue to the next movement.

one of the few things to like about tortoise, i suppose...

~ david
I really like tortoise, they do a great job in their style of music. I had the pleasure of watching one of their live shows, and have to admit to being blown away by their show and the band's concentration on the music. they had a visual background which was fully of glitchy images...so, yeah. about the djed loop...that extra exciting to find out that it was an accient turned into appreciation, then used.
thanks for the infor, and sorry for posting about groups not totally related to the list.

p.s. if you want to hear a great performance by tortoise via real audio check this out... http://www.supersphere.com/Club/ClubLinks2.html?NAME=TORTOISE but there are some other groups worth pursuing here, http://www.supersphere.com/Club/Archive as well, e.g., Ruins,
Nobukazu Takemura, Godspeed You Black Emperor!,Labradford,Momus and Flossie and the Unicorns

ad_ll

permissile HP_ www.geocities.com/duul_drv