Re: [microsound] whoopsy

At the end of the self definition-by-exclusion process, one finds that
inclusion of some sort is more or less inevitable.
Are the terms "glitch", "post-digital aesthetic", "microsound"- less hollow
then terms such as "house", "2-step", "half-step-fuckstep"???
Must musical development rely so much on terminology? or is terminology the
only thing that really develops in this process?

A very troublesome issue indeed! For here we are on a list defined around a certain realm of music and named according to terms coined for that realm. Without any terms to describe things we would find ourselves unable to communicate, or we would be forced to create private languages in order to discuss such things. Then again, the buzzwords of music seem to appear with disturbing predictability at the coming-of-age festival (or perhaps more appropriately, the debutante ball) for a given style as it crosses the threshold from obscurity into commercial viability, and following the buzzword almost inevitably can be noticed the popularization of a rapidly ossifying formula by which music sold under that buzzword-become-brandname is soon rigidly defined. At least within US, these brands not only formulate music - which now strives to fit within their guidelines in order to be slotted into acceptable categories (those spun by DJs, booked at clubs, sold at record shops, covered by the press, etc) - but also create target demographics designed to separate people into little cells which consume statistically consistent sets of culture product and can be analysed according to age, gender, religion, political alignment, etc. For example, once a certain strange assortment of gloomy dramatic psychedelic musics was given the label "goth," at that point the "goth" - a definable set of consumer attributes rather than simply a black-clothed weirdo - was created as well. At least in San Francisco, each of the dance music brands to which the message quoted above alludes can be associated with a standardized set of people, whose clothing brands, haircuts, ages, chosen chemicals, and reading choices fall within narrowly defined ranges, whereas before the dance music underground had been carved into such musical categories the various events here tended to attract a remarkably diverse assortment of people. I tend to find categorization of music unhelpful, and to me the application of a generalized pattern of analysis (rather than synthesis) in our increasingly microspecialized culture to music has resulted in ghettoization of both musics and listeners, serving to reduce the former to cliches and to drive the latter toward the fickleness of bored consumers. But perhaps the following question should be asked of such a term: is it invented by musicians in order to illuminate their work or is it rather used by businessmen as a means of moving units? We as language-users have a choice at all times as to whether we passively accept the language as it has been formulated for conventional meanings or actively reinvent it for the deliberate expression of our own meanings. But we must also keep in mind the disseminative process of language: a term created by musicians in order to realign the tools of meaning with the expressions of creativity may eventually be appropriated by the Market and used as a brand on the fur of the same musicians in order to direct the subsequent breeding of the herd. Which is preferrable, after all - the life of a leashed purebreed or that of a stray mongrel? I suppose it all depends upon the backyard.

np - Minimal Compact "Raging Souls"
--
NOTE NEW DOMAIN FOR E-MAIL & WEB:
joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx