Re: [microsound] approximations (more techno-mysticism)

(1)
But is not the aleatory excess of language another such way out? When I think of the approximation to musical experience through words, that is just what I mean. The game is poetry, which is what much criticism for better or worse (and short of Wittgensteinian rigor) ends up in.

Certainly, and this model offers also an escape hatch from the view of the Tractatus: IF the text is prepared to surrender - or vulnerabilize as perpetually questionable - its role as primary or Truthful (and here I use the early Wittgensteinian notion that truth is a collection of statements-that-are-the-case), THEN it becomes one of the most beautiful playgrounds available to us. And for me the beauty of the oddly concluded Tractatus is that it questions its own rigor: if language as a perfectly logical structure cannot speak of aesthetics, self, divinity, being, or any of the other excluded realms of philosophy, it seems to beg one to ask, then of what use is it? And if language is of no use as a logic, perhaps it is more sensible as a game (a rule-driven social activity) or as an aesthetic surface. After all, Wittgenstein went on later to discuss private languages, and perhaps it is one of these - rather than a truthful aesthetics - that is being attempted here, in the efforts of this list to create a dialect within which to understand new patterns of sound through the existing templates of discourse: we already intuit the truth (such as it is) of the music through the sound itself, yet now we require of language that it adjust itself - perhaps through a deliberate breakage - to the altered dimensions of the discussable world. Or perhaps we are looking at a sort of jazz, in which the critical text improvises over the bed of sound offered in the subject music - a karaoke of the text.

(2)
Doesn't the image of the unstuffed plaything presuppose a plenitude that is thwarted? Moreover, is not the beauty of that image itself a kind of talisman against such foils? At the very least, is it not a warning sign reading "proceed at your own risk"? (And we do, we do.)

Indeed, and perhaps too it is yet another runaway metaphor, a reminder that every plaything can become not only a husk beneath the couch but also a menace in traffic.

np - TAGC "Digitaria" (a lovely one by one of the experts in obfuscatory and typographically compromised inner sleeve entextualizations)
--
NOTE NEW DOMAIN FOR E-MAIL & WEB:
joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx