Re: [microsound] microsound+melody

> Too many times melodies seem to be something you add just to fill a
> supposed void -- the melody is thrown together in a matter of minutes to make
> things Complete.

As proof that Autechre don't need melodies just to make things Complete is
Gescom.

> Another thing about melody is that there´s a fine line
> between bad cheese and the smell of red roses. Autechre are guilty
> (occasionally) of some boring, predictable chord changes and some rather
> cheesy melodies to boot (although language permits me from communicating
> exactly what it is that I dislike), and this is what I think they could easily
> throw overboard. I guess what I´m saying, in all its triviliaty, is that I
> just want them to get rid of the bad melodies and the auto accomp. chords. I
> guess my pattern(s) of association differs from yours with regards to some of
> their material.

I prefer good/bad cheese to the smell of red roses.

> Melody takes some talent to produce (non-glitch: Jan Garbarek, Radiohead,
> Stina Nordenstam, My Bloody Valentine, Massive Attack, The Flesh Quartet, Nils
> Økland on Rune Grammofon, Gastr Del Sol (semi-glitch), Mouse On Mars) and it´s
> too easy to spot a melody that seems to be there just to fill up space.

Jan Garbarek is comparable to three tenors, Massive Attack are boring with
time, and Mouse On Mars have quite a lot of stupid melodies.
--Boundary_(ID_tzAuTwEymnUMuKxn9eKKCQ)