Re: [microsound] KYMA

tomonori yamasaki wrote:

> you can get a basic setup by $3,000 (1 card, box and stuff), but you
> need more cards to do serious stuff.

As the owner of Kyma system, albeit with the previous and lesser Capybara unit (the Capybara 66,
stuffed with DSPs), I can safely say that the above statement is not true. You can do very
serious work with a basic setup. I have been doing serious stuff (at least I think I have) for
quite a while now using the Capy-66, and the basic setup (which, btw, I think is actually $3495,
but I could be wrong) gives you just a little bit less power than my setup.

In any case, it´s a seriously fantastic system and highly recommended. I will hopefully doing
more and more of my work on this system in the future (I´m going for a Powerbook + Kyma setup),
as I think learning 100% what it´s all about will make the system even more powerful. I´m sure
people have read about the system on Symbolic Sound´s website, and, as the page says, it´s a
sort of realtime version, only infinitely more flexible, of Turbosynth. If you really want to
get into the depths of Kyma you can learn Smalltalk. If you really, really want to get into the
depths of Kyma you can program it assembly-wise. I don´t think I´ll dare to go there just yet,
if ever.

> (and hey, nobody shares his
> original kyma patches like reaktor or other software community does.)
> any opinion about that?

Yes, this is a bit of the problem. The Kyma user community is close to non-existing in terms of
"shareability". There has been attempts to get things going, and while there was something
approximating an active Kyma community, things sort of died again when list moderator Jim Coker
didn´t have time to run/manage the list anymore.

Hopefully this sharing can continue, but as of right now things look rather bleak on that front.
However, the new version of the Kyma OS should be approaching release (v5.0), and this is
certainly worth looking out for! In addition, Kyma comes with a lot of included Examples patches
(or "Sounds", as it´s called in kymanese), so it´s not like you´re totally guidelines-less.

/Oeivind/