Re: [microsound] oh....

> btw, this "campaign" recently won the Ars Electronica award for Digital
> Musics. Not that this has much to do with your claim, I just thought I´d
> mention it.

so are this year's results in?  what's the rest of the winners, if
that's not too elitist a question?  :)

frankly i'm ambivalent about the current 'debate' on limited vs not
limited.  as much as i understand (& even practice) the art of limited
releases, there is a risk that it veers into excess.  where does
necessity end, where does 'limited fashionable item for bourgeois
consumption' begin?  more accurately, isn't the line blurred most of the time?

anyway, this problem resides entirely in the grey so i wouldn't point
fingers; nor would i claim that this is the best way to go.  i think the
status quo is all right so long as the proponents of this scene are
aware of the risks & try to avoid full-bloodied, 'don't even think about
it' elitism.

onto more musical matters, is anyone else enjoying the savvas+savalas cd
on hefty?  pretty jazzy (in an isotope 217 meets amon tobin kind of way)
except using a good lot of cd glitch, radio noise & other such high
frequencies.  only problem is that it's criminally short but the
references are pretty interesting.

the radian cd (mego/rhiz) is also pretty good but that one goes
headfirst into our territory.  the 'post rock' aspect is surprisingly
well melded into the microsound approach; as a whole it's pretty
laidback & cool-sounding.  unfortunately i've only heard it instore; at
$28 canadian, sometimes price does get in the way of tasteful record shopping.

~ david