Re: [microsound] napster shut down

Arelar33@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 28 07 00 15 38 11, ezueled@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> >because if the encoding has been done right you will get a
> >very good copy of the original
> I can get 'very good copies' of music in most existing formats..having to
> access a computer, a modem and all the correct bits of software does not make
> 'very good copies' via MP3 format a very attractive (or cheap option) for
> quite a lot of people I would imagine.

Hmmm...there are/were about 20 million Napster users out there (I think), so this
MP3 thing must have something going for it. It's a compromise, yes, but you have
to compromise as long as very few people are equipped with T3+ connections. A
full CD is about 6-700MB, but in the MP3 format it would only be 60-70MB -- and
still sound good. So, yes, MP3 is a very attractive format for many people (and a
lot of people have computers, modems and software these days), even though the
number of people with CD players still outnumber the number of people with
computers (not for long, though).

> Besides which...I think I would rather
> have the best copy I can get.

I agree completely, but as long as this isn't possible all the time and for
everyone, clever people will find clever ways to share info that is too big to
begin with. Who will come up with a clever way to compress DVDs?

/Øivind/