popularity of new music

folks,

tired to stay out of this discussion.. i really did!

this discussion has been had on every electronic music mailing list
at some point or another.. yet those in fear never rest..

years ago everyone was crying about techno becoming "too
mainstream".. when the first techno songs started hitting commercials
and movies people acted like the world had ended... now techno
(jungle, etc) is all over, everywhere..every car commercial, every
pop record....  but does that mean the techno underground has gone
away? no..  like all new forms of music techno got appropriated into
the mainstream.. the same will happen with our beloved little
microsound genre.. trust me, you WILL hear scrapes and clicks and
cuts on some madonna (or similar) album within the next 5 years.. i
can guarantee you that...

and two things will happen:

1. popular music and culture will assimilate bits and pieces of this
"new" sound and do with them what they will.. meanwhile, the
"underground" microsound movement will still remain alive and active,
just as the techno or drum and bass world has...

2. the microsound artists will eventually tire of this and continue
exploring new areas of sound...

i can't believe some people are all up in arms and upset just because
markus popp licensend a track of his to a commercial... does that
make his *music* any worse? no.. but it does put more money in his
pocket.. and yes, it's a fine line between art and commerce.. but can
you blame someone for wanting to make a living at what they do?

when oval's music starts getting really bad (some argue that it
already has).. and if it's a result of 'selling out' or some other
subjective point then maybe we can all look back at this tv
commercial as the "beginning of the end"... but come on, one stupid
commercial and 30 seconds of oval shouldn't ruin the entire genre..

is the music SO eletist and precious that we are afraid to share it
with anyone else?

?

taylor,

-- + + + + + + + + + + + + + + taylor deupree/12k taylor@xxxxxxx http://www.12k.com

OUT NOW:
- with tetsu inoue "active/freeze" full length CD (12k) (july00)
- ".n" CD (ritornell/mille plateaux) (april/may 00)
- "polr" (rastermusic, spring 2000)
- "place" on Maschinelle Strategeme (ritornell/mille plateaux) (00)
- remixing kim cascone "bubblewarp", on "blue cubism" (digital narcis/japan)
- remixing Goem on "extensie" (goem remix CD)

OUT SOON:
- "continue" MP3/3"CD (fällt/ireland) (june00)
(http://fallt.com/invalidObject/index.html)
- "doClip" on "VARIIOUS" 2CD (intransitive/boston)