Re: [microsound] popularity of new music

To clarify my own position (just in case ;-) : Oval´s music doesn´t
get bad per
se (that whole "selling out" thing wasn´t part of my argument, and Markus Popp
has hardly sold anything other than CDs), but you have to admit that the track
featured in the ad does get recontextualized. Whether or not this new context
is for the better or for the worse is debatable (and subjective, like
everything else), but another dimension is added to the track (though not to
his entire oeuvre) regardless of what it used to be.

i totally agree..

and i forgot to say, before i wrote it, that my last post was quite a
generalization... but yes, his music DOES get recontextualized..
HEAVILY... for example, i create my own music to be listened to in a
very quiet space.. and to be really paid attention to... now, if it
were to be in a tv commercial .. it would obviously be heard in a
very, very different setting..

I agree completely, and I doubt very much that "the Oval ad" will blow microsound into the mainstream. For most people (that would be those who don´t care much about music, and there are plenty of them, or those that care about completely different musics) I´m guessing the sound of Oval in that commercial was just another sound effect or whatever and hardly made a significant impact to their musical/sensory apparatus. I still remember the vividly clear comment from a young girl sitting next to me in the cinema when the Levi´s ad featuring Biosphere´s music was playing..."That just isn´t music", she said. I suspect that´s what most people think.

well, it might be considered "just a sound effect".. but it's still a "new sound" sound effect.. and sound designers, engineers, musicians.. will hear those scrapes and pops and might find them interesting.. at the very least it will begin to familiarize people with those types of sounds .. that they may have not heard before in a "musical" context.

With regards to Oval´s music: it´s as good as it´s ever been, IMO.

i agree.. systemisch is stunning....

To be honest: microsound (in it´s "purest" form, like your own ".n" or Microstoria or the Maschinelle Strategeme comp) isn´t music that most people listen to or know how to relate to,

i agree.. but, maybe the word "yet" needs to be added? who knows..

 I think I still like to choose when and where I
hear music, though I don´t think this constitutes purism.

of course.. but, music is a part of every day life.. it's everywhere,
obviously.. whether you want to hear it or not..  so when we hear
oval on the tv we can either turn it off, because it's not the right
atmosphere.. or snicker..

taylor,

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +
taylor deupree/12k

OUT NOW:
- with tetsu inoue "active/freeze" full length CD (12k) (july00)
- ".n" CD (ritornell/mille plateaux) (april/may 00)
- "polr" (rastermusic, spring 2000)
- "place" on Maschinelle Strategeme (ritornell/mille plateaux) (00)
- remixing kim cascone "bubblewarp", on "blue cubism" (digital narcis/japan)
- remixing Goem on "extensie" (goem remix CD)

OUT SOON:
- "continue" MP3/3"CD (fällt/ireland) (june00)
(http://fallt.com/invalidObject/index.html)
- "doClip" on "VARIIOUS" 2CD (intransitive/boston)