From: Carl Stone [mailto:cstone@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 3:37 PM
To: plateaux@xxxxxxxxxx; microsound
Subject: Re: [microsound] Re: Oval Commercials.

Hi Gang -

Since my name was recently evoked by Øivind, I'll jump in here.

>I wasn´t really talking about ads that are shown perhaps once or
>twice (esoteric
>ads with either Oval or Carl Stone), because obviously the effect of such
>will be different from the ones that are constantly running everywhere and
all
>the time. A commercial that is well-made and contains interesting
>visuals/music
>can sometimes touch upon the aesthetic of the short film or the
>music video, but
>what is also characteristic of such commercials (at least quite often) is
that
>the actual commerical message is subdued -- which is probably why they can
>sometimes be enjoyable. An ad that keeps insisting on the product it´s
>advertising quickly becomes boring and perhaps isn´t as durable as the more
>"subtle" (if that´s a word that can be applied to advertising) approach.

Øivind, are you in Japan? That is the only place that has seen fit to
use my music for advertising, at least as far as I know (and as far
as I have been paid!). Unlike my impression of the US advertising
industry, the ad-folks in Japan seemed to really care about me and my
music. Example: I was asked to do music for a radio commercial for
Heineken Japan. The commercial? Two minutes of my music - "anything
you want to write" - no voiceovers or anything else, with just the
tag line "Music by Carl Stone, Beer by Heineken". I really can't find
anything to complain about that, even though as a rule I prefer Kirin
or Asahi.

CARL STONE

--
Music now available for free download from
  http://www.mp3.com/CarlStone

  Today's Palindrome: No witness--a fool. A nasal aria's time emits
air. Alas, an aloof assent: I won!

A  INTERNET: cstone@xxxxxxxxxxxx      WELL: cstone
STONE      4104 24th Street #410
                        San Francisco CA 94114 USA