Re: [microsound] Re: microsound Digest 23 Aug 2000 15:47:56 -0000 Issue 142

>>> cruft! i've just looked in my dictionary and didn't find it there

try the OED:

Cruft (krUft). The name of Charles Cruft (1852 - 1938), used in the
possessive to designate the dog show founded by him (now administered by the
Kennel Club) and held annually in London since
1886. Also as Crufts, Crufts().

[1891 Kennel Chron. 26 Jan. 2/2 The following shows between 1st Jan. and
31st Dec. in each year only to count: Liverpool, Crufts Terrier Show
[etc.].]

1910 Encycl. Brit. VIII. 376/2 The [Kennel] club has control over all
the shows held in the United Kingdom,..the actual number of dogs
which were entered at the leading fixtures being: Kennel Club show
1789, Crufts 1768, [etc.].

1936 R. West Thinking Reed xii. 433 The dogs were sitting on each side of
him..they looked too like him. She felt as if she were contemplating
marrying into Crufts.

1962 J. le Carre Murder of Quality v. 68 My sister is devoted to
dogsShe..was commended at Crufts.

1970 Guardian 6 Apr. 9/1 A girl..is constantly under pressure to groom
herself like a Crufts exhibit.

1984 S. Townsend Growing Pains A. Mole 18 He said that
Mitzi was being prepared for Crufts and mustnt suffer any stress.
--Boundary_(ID_PhzV1iGZWfjkYCsCKHmwuA)