Re: [microsound] laptop advice

From: "Øivind Idsø" <ezueled@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Gunnar Garness wrote:
>
> > been eclipsed.  I'm considering a powerbook but all my software on my
home
> > and office workstations is windows based and the 3d modeling software is
not
> > available for the MAC at all.  Is it really worth it over a pc laptop?
>
> The risk of starting the usual PC vs. Mac war is always great, but I´ll
say
> yes: it´s probably worth it. You can get quite a few live processing
programs
> for the Mac which aren´t available for the PC, like Super Collider,
Max/MSP and
> LiSA. There´s also magical stuff like sonicWORX, Soundhack, Peak + SFX
Machine
> and GRM Tools.

very true. except for GRM tools that are available on the pc too.

> I love my Powerbook. But then again: I´ve been using Macs for the past 10+
> years and am known to be a bit fanatical when it comes to arguments that
are
> pro-Mac, and equally fanatical when it comes to arguments that are
anti-PC. But
> that´s simply because PCs s*ck (at least every single time I try to use
them
> for something productive) and Mac´s don´t. :)
>
> I expect this to be the final word on this topic, since I´m sure people
would
> rather I get my way than having all the list members being exposed to
another
> PC vs. Mac war. (kidding).
>
> /Øivind/

just to provide a different view, i've worked with PCs for a long time, and
acquired an iMac a couple of months ago. it is true that my PC is sort of
high-end while the iMac is sure low-end, and it is true that i'm used to PCs
and not at all to Macs, but i found out that being productive on a mac for a
pc user is as difficult as for a mac user on the PC.
this said, do what you think it is best for you.
i'd be totally pro-mac if only it didn't crash so much, even with nothing
installed (and with whatever OS, from 8.6 to 9.0.4).

and then there is the classic biru geitsu hate, which it is kinda justified
=)

"I expect this to be the final word on this topic, since I´m sure people
would
rather I get my way than having all the list members being exposed to
another
PC vs. Mac war. (kidding)." =)

p h o n k
                                 oo