Re: [microsound] microvising...and structures

[ resending message as it didn't seem to go through...  apologies if you
get it twice ]

> Oohhh, very good!  That's exactly what I'm getting at.  See, I'm not sure
> that one can truly improvise with nothing more than a mouse or touchpad and
> standard gui sliders, etc...at their disposal.

the last 2 times i've improvised in concert with my band asyncdrone, i
had nothing but a mouse controlling an obsolete version of audiomulch.
the first time went extremely well; the second was, well, a mess.

it was improvisation, in the sense that i had no idea what the piece
would sound like beforehand, that i had to adjust to external
parameters, be attentive to how the other musicians were playing &
answer accordingly, & ultimately build up some sort of a "musical
experience" out of the mess.

improvisation can also be done successfully in studio, though there's
the risk of becoming too shy to try out wacky things, & going for the
safer routes, often at the cost of some of the excitement about
improvised music, which is to witness the mistakes shaping up the whole
piece.

in the past, i've improvised with rebirth, fruity loops, orangator, &
even impulse tracker (though that was far fetched).  anything that
allows real-time interaction can be used as a tool for live
improvisation; it will, however, be a different _process_ of
improvisation as what you'd get in say free jazz from "normal"
instruments.  perhaps that is what you meant?

la lala lalala.

~ david