Re: [microsound] Finding it in Japan

From: "Edward Roda" <ejroda@xxxxxxxx>

When I was in Tokyo looking hard for a merchant that I was referred to,
located in Aoyama,
the policeman went inside his hut, looked at the map, then came out and told
me how to get there.
He never showed me the map. His directions were too vague, but I got
closer.
I went into the Post Office, and they photocopied me a map, and circled my
destination.
I would never have found my destination without the Post Office.

Thanks to the Japanese occupation, we have the same problem in Korea. Addresses are postal codes and it means that without detailed directions (and even with them much of the time) you can't find a goddamn thing. Add to that a population growth from 500,000 to 11 million between 1920-1995 in the largest city, and the according geographic problems, and the reason for the problem becomes apparent. It's always worth recalling that Japan has half the population of the US in the space of Montana. That and there are no square blocks in Asia anywhere.