Re: [microsound] Westerkamp (was(hopefully still is): electronic improv)

There's no doubt (at least in my mind) about what you stated so I didn't
have a comment to add to your first e-mail. When I record, outside of
knowing sometimes where I'm going to do it, the elements that come into
play for the final result are always spontaneous so that would make it an
"improv" situation. Recording "on the fly" is another aspect. If you want
to discuss field recording in more depth, there's a list-group called
Phonography at eGroups.com. Cheers, Dale															On Sat, 16 Sep
2000 09:20:03 EDT Arelar33@xxxxxxx writes:
> Its funny that the conversation seems to have turned to an appraisal
> of
> Westerkamps aesthetics. The reason I mentioned her work, though, was
> in
> reference to the dialogue concerning improvisation with devices
> other than
> conventional instruments...my point was that Westerkamps soundwalks
> are an
> improvisation with a recording device. This is in contrast to
> improvs which
> 'produce' sound. I thought it would be interesting to bring to lists
> members
> attention that it is quite possible to 'capitalize' on extraneous or
>
> environmental sounds, hence the reference also to scanners earlier
> work with
> his 'phone' scanner.

Follow nature! Follow nature! As she works, so will I work!
http://overheard.homestead.com/lloyd.html
http://overheard.homestead.com.daslzentread.html

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.