Intellectual Property

>How should the audience feel when the process behind apparently heavily
>process based music is not revealed?

working in an IP (intellectual property) rich environment I have come to
understand why a software developer/artist/etc does not want their
"process" exposed...although I am more than willing to share some ideas on
an abstract level I tend to be rather guarded when it comes to the
details...I like knowing the general concept of an artists work and
guessing as to how it was implemented...

on improvisatory laptop performances: when I was performing in Stuttgart
with Pita and Hecker I was stunned to see them madly opening patches,
tweaking them on the fly, closing them, opening others and browsing for
samples without a break in output...I was blown away by their technique...a
lot of energy goes into what they do and it shows in their work: masterful
and engaging...I started thinking very differently about laptop
performances after performing with them...

KIM

kim.cascone
sound.designer...composer

microsound hotline server: microsound.dyn.dhs.org

kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.anechoicmedia.com

"the smooth always posseses a greater power of deterritorialization
  than the striated."
    - Deleuze & Guattari