From: obscure@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [microsound] videoglitch 1970
To: microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:

A bit back people on the list were considering the merging of video and
audio... and I have something new to add to this:

I just saw an amazing single channel video retrospective 'Rewind: Seminal
Works in Video 1968-1974' in Detroit which featured artists like Nam June
Paik, Joan Jonas, Vito Acconci, John Baldessari... all really interesting
and familiar to me, but more importantly the show included 4 videos by two
figures I was unfamiliar with:

....Steina and Woody Vasulka...

....the works of this husband and wife team floored me. They were doing
videos in the 60's and 70's that were totally sound and process driven, and
they got it right on. Many of these works were made before I was born, too
weird to discover something like that... the sound is (pardon my use of
this descriptive word) pre-glitch, a total marriage of image and
electronics. I'm curious to know if anyone on this list knows (or has been
influenced by) this body of work?

For those in New York, this pair co-founded The Kitchen in 1971... the
roots run deep.

PS: I am interested in acquiring copies of any of the Vasulka's video
works... if anyone has any leads, please contact me offlist.

______

                         < For Communication >

		c/o Thinkbox:
		2791 Jos St. Louis