Re: [microsound] Contact Microphones

Here you go, Paul. Putting the signal through fx can give you some
monstrous lovely sounds. I recommend getting the largest disks
possible (~ 3.5 - 4cm), though they're hard to come by. They
trasnduce lo-end best. Most buzzers use smallish ones that are
good for hi-end. Let me know if you have any other questions--A

-:=====  On 1 Sep 2000, Allan G. Watson wrote:  =====:-

> does anyone know how to (or know where to find how to) build drum
> triggers?

I've used piezo disks successfully to do just this for sound
installations. Although I bought a bunch of lovely, large piezos from
a surplus dealer called Meshna's (USA) some years back, I know
that you can cannibalize Radio Shack (USA) buzzers to get them.
Just rip off the plastic case. I think that American Science and
Surplus also sells them at quantity.

If you get your hands on piezo disks, note that they look kinda like
a fried egg, with a metal armature ring concentric with the piezo
ceramic center. You can solder one conductor (I use shielded
microphone cable but you can use solid conductor, too, since
you'll be triggering the midiKat) to each of these being careful not
to short them out nor to melt a hole through the ceramic. The
conductor connected to the armature is the ground and the
ceramic is the signal. Connect the other ends of the conductors to
a phone jack (I used 1/4") or RCA (the signal is MIC level), the one
soldered to the armature connects to the sleeve of the jack, and
the one soldered to the ceramic center connects to the tip of the
jack.

Using these, you can trigger-to-MIDI almost anything you can
attach the piezo to.

Hope this helps.

Alberto