naive question re: patches

Hello, this is a delurk.

I assume I'm not the only one who enjoys the music discussed here but has little to no understanding of how it's actually composed. This often raises questions for me, some very general ones which I'll spare you, and some more concrete ones, the most recent one of which I'll ask:

What is a patch? How do you use one? (I assume from the posts that there is more than one, though I'm not sure if you can use more than one at once).

	Thanks in advance for your elucidations...

	Alej.