[no subject]

Brun: I am aware of the danger of coquettishness when a composer says about
his own piece "totally unlikable" and things like that. What I meant is that
there are prevalent aesthetics which would lead us to say: "It's pretty
shocking" or "It doesn't sound very good" or just "Very interesting."
Doubting the relevance of those aesthetics, however, enough people attending
such meeting as we have today [the International Computer Music Conference]
will just enjoy being in the presence of something which grates, not with
them but at least with the environment which they perceive. So we often sit
in a concert and listen to a piece to which we do not yet have a "liking"
relationship but of which we know already that it annoys the people in the
row behind us -- and then we are very much for that piece. I would suggest
that my piece is just on the level where it invites you to a conspiracy with
me, and you like that. Yes, it annoys a few people in your imagination or
your presence that you would like annoyed, and I'm doing you this little
favor. I provide you with one moment where that happens and then you like
having been in that presence. It does not yet mean that the piece is one
that you would voluntarily take home and put on in the evening to enjoy with
a cigarette and a glass of wine. But in a social context you may have liked
the fact that it happened rather than what it is. So it is an invitation to
this conspiracy.

 ------
eloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://groovylab.com