Re: [microsound] richard lerman

Alberto Gaitan wrote:

> -:=====  On 24 Nov 2000, anechoic wrote:  =====:-
> >Lerman's work depends upon his virtuosity with the piezo-electric
> >transducer.
>
> Richard and one of his students, composer Doug Quin, taught me
> everything I know about the piezo disk.

WOW!  I love Doug's work.  I didn't know he was a student of Richard.
Anyone have any link's to Richard Lerman sites?

> I've used these transducers on everything from clipboards to huge
> sheets of sheet metal to train tracks. I usually use a screw gun
> (and sheet metal screws) to screw the disk onto the vibration
> source. This makes a very tight junction between the two. Vise
> grips have worked well for those places where I can't use screws.
> When screwing them on, or vising them on, take care not to short
> out the piezo ceramic center and the metal armature.

So I guess the key hear is to to try to get the 'disk' to actually
become physically attached to the vibration source.  Also,
are you looking at attaching the 'disk' to a source that
vibrates?

What are you guys using for mic-pre amps on these?

What is the output level?

What is the impedance of these mics?

How would you record to Mini-disc or to DAT with XLR
mic-pre in's?

> Maryann Amacher is also a hugely brilliant composer using
> custom transducers. Anyone here know about her gear?

No.  But her work is also amazing.  I would also love to hear
more about her if anyone has any info.