Re: [microsound] chef d'oeuvre / canavarro

>> Appleton's an academic, but he has a great sense of humor and timing. For
>> 1969's "Newark Airport Rock," the composer querried passers-by at the NJ
>> terminal for their opinions of "the new electronic music" and wove the
piece
>> together with a little Moog and MIDI doodling, Robert Ashley-style.

he was obviously WAY ahead of his time to be using MIDI in 1969 :P

seriously, this sounds like a lot of fun.  i managed to snare a ten-minute
segment of some home shopping channel program selling a chintzy Casio
keyboard several weeks ago.  it's hilarious all by itself.  "I press a
button. . .listen!  I don't know what it's going to do!"  "It's got today's
modern synthesizer bass, for playing modern lifestyle music."

sorry to flaunt ignorance, but who is Robert Ashley?

					-jeff

1642 try 621