Re: [microsound]Ikeda's Matrix

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 05:30:15 -0800 (PST)
"=?iso-8859-1?q?Leann=20M.=20Lipscomb-Zavier?=" <ambient_2001@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
 >>I have both the Xenakis and the Matrix and must
 chime in with my opinion. You must use a
 high-resolution system to hear the various 'layers'.
 As in any music played on a system of low-resolution
 one will not notice the minutiae of the recording...
 I have a vast collection of sine-based recordings yet
 have not experienced such drastic effects as on
 Matrix. The Xenakis - playing now- is a differant
 beast altogether, IMHO.
 Again, an opinion. If we all agreed and dug the same
 > music there would be no chance of progress.

on 12/2/00 Dale Lloyd wrote: With this release, it sounds to me like it's not just a matter of digging
the same music, it's also a matter of whether a certain release is
effective on all stereo systems. A question that comes to my mind
frequently, with this type of music is, "who are you releasing cd's for?"
Is it for a select few who have high-end stereo equipment or acoustic
laboratories, or for people who can enjoy your stuff on whatever set-up
they can afford? Is it better left as an installation piece to be
experienced in an art space?These are not so much criticisms as they are
questions posed toward this kind of release.

this whole thread brought the same question to mind...i wondered how much control does/should a composer/artist/musician have over an album/cd/etc. once it has left his/her hands (for the most part the answer seems to be none). for the most part i think it's a valid request to try and listen to works of this nature on good to great stereo systems. though, for requests such as sensory depravation tanks, ten cd players etc. i'm not sure, is this asking too much(?)

in the case of fennesz/zeitblom/rantasa's "music for an isolation tank" i've only listened to it once and that was 3/4 months after i got the cd, because, i wanted to be in accord with the artist's intent (note: i still haven't listened in a isolation tank (someday, maybe)).

so, how valid is it for the artist to request/demand that works be received in a particular manor(?). these are just questions but, that's what art's all about (right ?).

cheers,

gabe