Re: [microsound] microsound future

on 12/21/00 1:24 PM, JonAbbey2@xxxxxxx at JonAbbey2@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 12/21/00 1:49:20 PM, palmderski1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << >> thrill jockey records was the most profitable record company in th US
> last
>>> year and they deal mostly with indie rock and various forms of
>> instrumental
>>
>> Where'd you get this info?  Were they the most profitable indie, or the most
>> profitable label overall?  I find it hard to imagine them making more money
>> than Geffen or whichever.
>>
>> -Jesse
>>
>> well, i already posted one response to this trying to explain how it is
> possible for a smaller label to turn bigger profits than a larger one. the
> main point is that labels like TJ once they get well known have built in
> crowds that buy for the label name as much as the artist. no major in the
> world has this going! >>
>
> OK, but you still didn't answer Jesse's question. where did you get this
> information? I'd be very curious to see the numbers for myself. I wouldn't be
> surprised if Thrill Jockey was the most profitable (or one of the most
> profitable), not in terms of total profits, but in terms of a ratio of
> profits to expenditures, although I would have thought a label like Rawkus or
> even Tommy Boy would have better numbers.
>
> sorry for prolonging a not especially musical thread...
>
> Jon
> www.erstwhilerecords.com

true, the info came from a friend in the business who deals with booking
tours for acts on just about every label and his conversations with large
booking agents and what they are and are not excited about. so it is heresay
but rather informed inside heresay. even if this isn't 100% accurate the
trend towards smaller label profitability is interesting especially in light
of the whole intellectual property debate which is where this whole thing
started from initially. these very labels that are doing so well at the
moment will be the hardest hit from the trend towards musical piracy.