Re: [microsound] is the problem distributors... or record stores?

----- > It doesn't make sense to me to try to imitate larger labels, if your
> small indie. Until I can either get small runs (100 or less) made of
> regular cd's, or until I can garner other label interest than my own, I'm
> just going to do cdr runs. Philippe, I think what he means by "that
> wouldn't bankrupt you", is that many distributors are slow to pay small
> labels who really need the cash flow to continue releasing music. If you
> haven't encountered this yet, you've been very fortunate. I'm trying to
> figure out alternatives to using conventional distributors.

I really like CD-R too, but nobody is going to distribute it.  Why should
they?  My friend pressed 500 copies of his CD, cost him something like $2000
(yeah, he probably got ripped off), and when he takes them into stores for
consignment/region distro they take pity on him.  They took 1 of my CD-Rs,
but 30 of his CDs.  Granted his stuff is a little more commercially viable
than mine, but it was painfully obvious when I walked in with a CD-R that
they were really doing me quite a favor by not being insulting and telling
me to take my 'demo tape' back to the drawing board.