Re: [microsound] |-| Re: // techniques ]]

On 11/01/01 13:38, Tobias said in living color:

> I wonder if it would be possible to write
> within a patch (here my expertise is lacking,
> I am not a programmer) a system of algorithms
> with random elements that sequence linear time
> based developments of an original musical
> sound that would then literally be generationalized,
> passed down, without losing what we could
> consider a "core" element. Is it possible to
> metaphorise within such a constraining system
> of signification that is code? & as such what
> will we accept as metaphor, meaningful substitution,
> for musical core elements?

I think you ought to answer that last question and define more clearly what
you mean by "generationalized, passed down" (at least, I'm not getting
clearly what you mean -- maybe others are...) before anybody can respond to
your main question in a meaningful way... ;)

> I think Wagner may have been doing something similar.
> Anyone here a Wagnerian?

No... but I've been getting into Wagner recently. The Liebestod from Tristan
& Isolde is probably the most orgasmic music ever written.

And I intend to plunge into the depths of the Ring shortly (I bought a
complete version recently).

g.

--
Guillaume Grenier - gollum@xxxxxxxxxxxx

in space there is no north  in space there is no south
in space there is no east   in space there is no west