Re: [microsound] old school / sinewavey

> In a message dated 1/17/01 1:05:14 PM, jhyun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << i'd like to get into some early electronic shit from "composers" like
> stockhausen, cage, etc. can someone make any recommendations on some
> essential recordings? >>

Dale already mentioned (in passing) Gottfried Michael Koenig - Acousmatrix
1|2. this monster deserves more. i'll add: wondering where Papa Karlheinz
picked up many of his best moves? Koenig WAS the könig.of Cologne's West
German Radio studio. and you don't have to pretend to understand the theory
involved in order to enjoy his antique-yet-contemporary sounds.

another BVHaast old-school essential:
Henri Pousseur - Acousmatrix 4: Scambi / Trois Visages de Liège /
Paraboles-mix.

doesn't approach the dark-matter density of Parmegiani, but HP was capable
of some equally WTF?!-worthy work. the 41-minute "Paraboles-mix" - spacey,
Barron-esque, even intermittently tuneful - is the highlight. but "Scambi"
gives you the state of Cologne-school proto-glitch music 40+ years before
the fact.

was there ever an Acousmatrix 3? artist/title?

as for sinewavey stuff that has escaped mention ...

Anthony Burr and Skuli Sverrisson's "Desist" (Fire.Inc.) is a well-executed
bass/sine duo disc that deserves a larger audience. likewise the unsung
A.F.R.I. Studios (Andrés Krause), who offers a neat line in Ikeda-meets-Aube
sinesculpture on his CD (BMB Labs) and 7" (Tonschacht). i'm also fond of
Harri Ansorge's "Dwot" (IRRAH), a mix of hair-prickling frequencies and rich
rumble so densely composed you could get lost in it for days. Seattle's
atlatl (Phil Hendricks) did an impresive one-man Pan Sonic impersonation on
1998's sine-heavy "All You Fuckers Without Radar" (Cloaca) - makes me wonder
what he's been up to since. and the late-'98 batch of Zero Gravity titles
featured some seriously damaged/damaging solo sine (and other wave-sound)
abuse via Hado-Ho's "Sonic Wave" (how can you not love a CD that promises
"it may damage speakers & possible loss of hearing" ?) and parts of Ichiraku
Yoshimitsu's (the "I" in I.S.O.) even more playfully off-the-wall "The Music
of Surround Panner."

or just wait for "do." there's never been anything quite like it..

gg/
gg2g4ink@xxxxxxxxxxx

"establish enigmas. not explanations" - robert smithson

np: velma: paroles lp (stetic)