Re: [microsound] external firewire drives for audio?

well firewire is faster then scsi which has been a standard for audio
recording. But you might not need an external drive but rather just
another drive period.  You should not be doing audio on the same drive as
your os and programs sit on. Audio as Im sure you know fragments the drive
and really messes things up in terms of where the information sits on the
drive ect ect. What would be a better alternative and probally cheaper the
an external drive would be to get a second internal drive 20 or 30 gigs
drive are pretty cheap these days, make sure its at least 6400 rpm if not
faster. And because it will be internal to your machine as part of the
internal bus system less wire to travel ect ect, the transphere rates and
rate of data transmission loss will be less of a problem then an external
drive. Of course if this is a laptop then your talking a differne tstory
as there is no room for a second drive, what I woul recomend then is an
external firewire drive, VST make some pretty good external drives that
work well for sound and video. I used one recently for both a audio and a
video project and there were no problems. But if you can add a second
internal drive I would do so youll be way more happy with the results.
just my 2.5 cents... ;)
Neil...
(aka naw)

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, taylor deupree wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i figure someone on this list will be able to shed some light on this
> for me (kim, maybe?)... anyway.. my internal drive on my new G4 is
> slow (5400rpm) and giving me some audio recording problems... i need
> to get another drive, asap... and someone suggested i look into an
> external firewire drive.. saying the speeds and sustain rates for
> audio surpass the best scsi drives...
>
> is this true? does anyone have any opinions/information on using
> firewire drives for audio recording?
>
> thank you!..
>
> cheers
>
> taylor
>
> NP: sugar plant "dryfruit"
>

> --
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> taylor deupree/12k/line
> taylor@xxxxxxx
> http://www.12k.com
>

> TAYLOR DEUPREE - OUT NOW / UPCOMING:
> - TOKEI 12" ep (audio.NL/netherlands) - 2001
> - "occur_stream" CD - 2001
>
> 12k/LINE RELEASES:
> - 12k1011 shuttle358 "frame" CD
> - LINE_001 richard chartier "series" CD
> - LINE_002 immedia "2 | 1" CD
> - LINE_003 miki yui  "lupe luep peul epul"  CD    OUT 03/01
> -12k1012/LINE004 v/a "between two points" compilation 2CD    OUT 03/01
> - LINE_005 bernhard günter "monochrome white" CD    OUT 06/01
>
> - chronologi: 12k year 1 - year 4 (CD) (instinct records. may 2001)

Neil Wiernik
neil@xxxxxxxxx