an exhibition

hello,
sorry for the cross post / off topic-ness
but i've got an exhibition on and you are all invited...
if anyone is in brighton, england, and has nothing else to do on monday
evening - after work - pop down for a glass of wine.
sse you there!
andrew duff
http://www.ufreek.freeuk.com

MONDAY 19TH FEBRUARY - 6pm

PRIVATE VIEW

For one week only - Andrew Duff presents the conclusion of his Design &
Digital Media MA at Coventry University. The work is a reactive
graphical interface, triggered by the audience. Visuals appear, expand,
contract and vibrate as a reaction to noise - this visual effect could
be
seen as an abstract oscilloscope.

The Private View is on Monday at 6pm, so please call in after work if
you can for a glass of wine and a chat. It's a great opportunity to meet
some
of our network of artists, as well as meeting up with the usual Media
Centre suspects!

There's more information about the show below, or you can contact me at
the Gallery on 384200.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Jemima

IMAG[IN]ING SOUNDS IS SPONSORED BY GATES DESIGN HOLDINGS, COVENTRY

Monday 19th February - Saturday 24th February 2001

Open Monday to Friday 10.00am to 6.00pm & Saturday 12.00noon to 4.00pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Imagining sounds; created by the audience and altered in realtime using
complex digital sound processing techniques.

The work was created last year as a final Project for a Masters in
Design and Digital Media at Coventry University for which I gained a
distinction (though it is now an ongoing,
personal project). The visual imagery was created using animation
techniques in Macromedia?s Flash 4, which allowed the creation of
abstract interpretations of sound inspired by
standard technical representations such as oscilloscopes. These
animations are then controlled using an application I designed and
produced using Cycling 74?s MAX-MSP (a
powerful interactive music and multimedia graphical programming
environment, originally developed at IRCAM, the French computer music
centre). My application also processes
the sound using Granular Synthesis; an experimental technique where
sound is thought of as minute ?grains? each with their own qualities.

The exhibit will be set up to take in the surrounding sounds (through a
microphone), process it using Granular Synthesis (played back via
loudspeakers), and trigger the visual
interface (presented via a data projector). The work was inspired by the
dull visual accompaniments I found at electronic music events.
Performers had provided a number slides or
video neither of which kept time or related to the music itself; I
personally found most of these visuals to be a distraction. I felt there
could be a simple and effective solution for these
performers that could be produced using the same software being used for
the audio.

Andrew Duff lives and works in Brighton

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jemima Kiss