AMM

In a message dated 2/26/01 12:43:20 PM, philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< what would ppl recommend as a good

starting-point for AMM? >>

this is a tricky question. with AMM, more than maybe any other band I know,
the more releases you've heard, the more you can grasp what they're doing. it
took me maybe four releases and a few years to fully appreciate them. the way
they communicate tends to be implicit more than explicit, and that can be a
hard thing for a listener to deal with. but once you connect with what
they're doing, it's incredibly rewarding.

I wouldn't recommend starting with The Crypt or Laminal, although those are
both superb, but rather one of the more recent trio discs, like Newfoundland
or Live In Allentown USA. other essential discs include Generative Themes,
The Nameless Uncarved Block, Combine and Laminates, The Inexhaustible
Document, The Crypt, and Laminal (at least the first two discs, I've never
been crazy about the third, and I attended that performance). there's a full
discography at www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/mamm.html.

and if you have the chance, go out of your way to see them live. their show
in Boston this fall was the best single improv set I think I've ever seen.
they're touring the US again in April, below is an early version of the tour
schedule. I know at least a Portland date has been added, on the 11th, I
think:

5th April - Colorado College, Colorado Springs.

8th April   - Mills College, Oakland, CA
9th April   - Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
10th April - Knitting Factory, LA

13th April  - Chicago
14th April  - Chicago
15th April - Chicago

17th April  - Mattress Factory, Pittsburgh

26th April  - Bard College, Annandale, NY
27th April  - Bard College
28th April  - Knitting Factory, NY
29th April  - Knitting Factory, NY

Jon