Live Composition

slub[1] use only custom software.  with Perl, RealBasic and C, we create a
networked environment in two laptops (1 mac + 1 linux) entirely controlled
by ourselves in realtime.

we use graphical and commandline compositional applications and scripts,
which communicate via a central server (sending instructions such as
'intensity', 'complexity' and 'disorder').  rendering is handled via a
custom UN*X commandline software sampler and effects program [2].

where possible we allow our screens to be projected or at least seen, so
people can see the movements and expressions that are transformed into
sound.

i disagree with the use of other programmer's software in performance or
recording without at least appreciating their work.  many years of work
went into the software that runs on our computers and our input can only
make up a fraction of that.  the creative work of programmers is greatly
under-rated.  the computer is not merely a tool - it is a human
environment formed by human thought.

that said, i enjoy a great deal of traditional electronic music.  i have
only strong feelings about how _i_ do things.

alex

[1] http://slub.org
[2] 'MSG' available from http://stub.org

--
a member of the state51 conspiracy
tonight i'm gonna party like it's (time_t) 1E9