Re: [microsound] Performing "Live"

> say for example that the band you are playing with
> is shuffling time between
> 6/8 and 4/4 spontaneously, how do you keep up with
> the computer?
>
> or the bass & drums vamp on an infectious 3 over 4
> feeling for a build, how
> do you change your sequence to compliment this, and
> then change back at the
> next bar? well, you could click on the "sequence"
> button, then click on the
> number of steps and select 3, then program the
> note/velocity/"nuance" for
> the 3 steps, then press play ... but by that time it
> is hardly spontaneous.
> and even if it was spontaneous, it would only be
> spontaneous for the
> millisecond that it takes to press the play button.

why are you so stuck on rythm? not all music composed
or improvised is rythm based. we might as well toss
out the harmonium, hurdy-gurdy, tambura...ect. out the
window as feasible improvising instruments too, eh?
even though they are steeped in centuries of
improvised history(believe it or not, but people were
improvising looonnnggg before king crimson and their
zillion time changes).

no a computer would not be the ideal instrument to
play be-bop on. or play the lead in a prog-rock
group.... you wouldn't have the timpani play the
oboe's part in a symphony either would you?

it's really a shame that in most people's minds
improvising means shooting off notes at the speed of
light or changing the time signature every x # of
bars.