Re: [microsound] Re: sine

? wrote:

> pure sine waves can be lethal for systems, you could say they are
> acoustically inefficient ......
>
> guy
>
> At 11:19 09/04/01 -0000, Julian Knowles wrote:......
> >everything was comfortable - During the gig, though, they gave me at
> >least 20 db more of the oscillator which is what freaked the system
>
> doh, typical, thank god indeed for the guy who invented the compressor
>
> >out..  I don't like compressing things too hard per se but a good
> >multiband compressor would have done a lot of the hard work to make
> >it sound good.

ok, I'm not sure who wrote what, I hadn't been following this  thread, but I'd
like to add that most compressors  I've tried, do NOT work well on sinusoidal
or constant pure tones.  They either badly color it  and/or the envelopes
can't handle it, of course some are  much worse than others, like the RNC,
which people rave about  for other applications.
Just by the nature of a compressor, could it even be a a true sine wave after
it's compressed?
best,
phil