Re: microsound Digest 10 Apr 2001 23:40:59 -0000 Issue 296

At 23:40 10/04/01 -0000, you wrote:
From: "Jeremy Tolsma" <ccws@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [microsound] Re: sine

>well, I dont think you'll be able to convince too many people to stop using
>sine waves.  Those roland tr-x0x techno drum machines generate their bass
>with sine waves.  Soundsystems at clubs seem to be able to handle it.  Maybe
>the guy at the desk should take a smoke break.

nah, I don't smoke,
there is a difference between pure sine wave (i.e. one single frequency)
generators and 'machines' that use sine waves in the synthesis, the sound
that comes out is no longer a pure sine wave but a harmonically more
complex signal, and thus acoustically much more efficient.

and pH_____ <disck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>ok, I'm not sure who wrote what, I hadn't been following this  thread, but
I'd
>like to add that most compressors  I've tried, do NOT work well on sinusoidal
>or constant pure tones.  They either badly color it  and/or the envelopes
>can't handle it, of course some are  much worse than others, like the RNC,
>which people rave about  for other applications.
>Just by the nature of a compressor, could it even be a a true sine wave after
>it's compressed?

indeed, you got a point there, it will all depend on the compressor (on how
linear it is or isn't - usually this is proportionally equal the price
tag). I don't know the RNC, but usually when people rave about this kind of
tool it is because it has a distinct 'colour', which means it is not very
neutral/linear. But if the compressor is, it won't solve the problem of one
single pure sine wave, it will just reduce the level of the sine wave (the
compressor knows nothing about acoustics, it basically just knows about
electricity), and we're back where we started...I was just thinking of the
general level vs. loudspeaker survival, not about the music (typical
deskperson crudeness).

it is a funny discussion on the microsound list, as for most people somehow
relating to this group I had the pleasure to desk for (e.g. Steve Roden,
Brandon LaBelle, Sachiko M, and ages ago Alvin Lucier) I had no need for a
compressor at all.

guy

Guy De Bievre
LOGOS FOUNDATION