quadriphonic or multi-channel sound was 3D environmental audio

I know a guy who does performances on quadraphonic or octophonic systems
that soround the audience, with sounds moving from speaker to speaker.
At his shows he encourages the audience to move around as the music
sounds different from every spot in the room.  I don't know if that is 3D
environmental audio or not but it is sure a nice experience to be
sorounded by the music like that.  Especially when the sounds swirl
around.

This is kind of unrelated, but, apparently at a reunion show, Pink Floyd
had hundreds of speakers set up so that every person in the audience no
matter what their seat would still here the msuic in full stereo.  I'm
not a huge Pink FLoyd fan but I thought that was really nifty.

Jake