Re: [microsound] robert normandeau question

> Does anyone happen to know the difference between the
> two CD version of Robert Normandeau's TANGRAM, and the
> later-released one-CD version?  I'm assuming the
> latter (http://www.electrocd.com/cat.e/9920.html) are
> truncated versions of the former
> (http://www.electrocd.com/cat.e/9419.html), but the
> website seems to indicate that the track listings are
> identical for each CD.  Just curious.

congratulations!  you have asked the $20,000 mystery question.  :)  the
double CD version (released in 1994) features two mixes of the same
tracks, one CD which is the 'dry' mix, devoid of reverb & such 'live'
effects, suitable for concert performance, & another one which is a
studio recording of the first CD, with proper spatialization & so on.
the reissue (1999) keeps only the 2nd CD which is probably the most
interesting to have for most purposes.  however, there are still a few
copies of the 1994 version available, & as they're offered at the same
price as the 1999 reissue, it may be a good idea to pick it up before
it's out of print.

on the robert normandeau tip, rephlex (of all labels) is just about to
release a compilation of his music.  i don't think it features any
unreleased tracks though, but european listeners may find it easier to
locate than his empreintes digitales recordings.  & who knows, maybe
it's going to be available on vinyl too.  (which would rock :)

while we're at it, how about a mille plateaux vinyl reissue of dhomont's
_sous le regard d'un soleil noir_?  :)

~ david