Re: [microsound] autech HER

richard wrote:

does anyone have thoughts on this concept of "personality" in electronic music.
i think it is all very dependant on the type of work you are doing.

there's a wonderful [new] interview on pitchforkmedia.com with Jan of mouse ON mars, that tangentially connects to the issue of personality in music (or electronig/processed music, as it were). jan mentions that "Everyone has his own face, everyone has his own gestures, and everyone has his own language, in a way, and everyone should have his own sound. And so, I think, 'Okay, that's my sound.'"

i really dig the simplicity of his statement (esp. compared to the non-simplicity of MOM music), as Jan isn't afraid to project an "identity" onto his music----his OWN identity. of course, one could argue that the idea of "one's own gestures" and "one's own sound" are just our own assemblies of other sounds and other gestures, but i think he says that everyone has the potential to replicate/reorganize "sound" on his or her own terms, in his or her own particular pattern.

MOM music isn't stony-faced robotica like autechre. Jan is responsible for some of the most (to my ears) soothing, fuzzy stuff on the market, and he seems eager to "identify" with his own music. i like that.

Bob maynard.