Re: [microsound] Info on last FIVE Oval CDs

> >It sounds like someone's got an excess amount of cash to throw around.
> >Maybe Oval now can give grant money to low income composers.  ;-)

ah maybe you should ask Franz Metzger if he can imagine that... popp should be
regretting that Oval ain't a trio any longer...
philippe

http://www.bip-hop.com
ambient landscapes, creative and melodic musica...

SPACEHADS and MAX EASTLEY : the time of the ancient astronaut [bleep 04]
Spaceheads have teamed up with Max Eastley, who wields The Arc (an electric
acoustic monochord), and done just that -- removed the motorik syncopated
driving beats and replaced them with shimmering cymbals and small percussive
gestures and squiggles, while extending the trumpet into neverendingly
evocative chilled-out washes of pure vibratoless horn. Although I am not quite
sure what the monochord looks like or how it works, it sounds much like an
early analogue moog synth, erupting in wails at times hellish and chaotic, at
times placid and harmonious. An ambient record. Relaxing yet with an
undercurrent that will unsettle you in a good way.
>Aquarius newslist - May 2001

The superb Spaceheads expand to a trio with the addition of sound sculptor and
instrument inventor Max Eastley. Their recording, starts with a distantly eerie
set of music with soaring trumpet, drums in irregular march and Eastley's 'Arc'
(an electroacoustic monochord) imitating an out-of-tune violin for the feel of
a soundtrack to a particularly grim part of a '60s Biblical epic. Though
recorded as one long piece, they've thoughtfully indexed the CD into 'songs' or
sections as the sounds change. Andy Diagram's trumpet flutters like a voice in
tremolo, other times filling the space with impossibly long notes (he blows
then expands the sound beyond the temporal range of human breath). Richard
Harrison's work is far more detailed than his usual sensitive funk, mostly
altered bowed and scraped and bent metal. Eastley dances in slow curlicues
around them both (at least I think that's him). Very, very nice.