Re: [microsound] feldman

At 09:32 PM 6/4/01 +0200, ronnie sundin wrote:
the "All Piano" 4CD-set
by morton feldman but don't know if that's a good place to start? i don't
have any other works by feldman
but think it's time to start checking him out. recommendations?

I will second the recommendation for "For Samuel Beckett," my favorite - at the moment - of the works by Feldman with which I am familiar; I have the lovely recording on Hat Art, and at least one other has been made more recently. For an introduction, the recent CPO budget-line 2xCD package of four live recordings of orchestral works from the 1970s provides a large helping of music with little financial strain. For the solo piano work, "For Bunita Marcus" (mine is on Col Legno, and several others are available) is a small-scale (single CD) piece suggested for those hesitating over the price of a multi-disc set. Then again my own introduction was by way of "Words and Music" by Feldman and Samuel Beckett (on Montaigne) and of "Durations" and "Coptic Light" (paired on CPO), both splendid. About the only place I would not recommend starting with Feldman is his "Neither" opera, based on a libretto from Beckett, and I only note it because this rather dark and strange piece is unrepresentative of the sounds for which Feldman is better known; this treat is best kept for later exploration, although Hat Art's limited pressing (in the all-cardboard digifile packages I wish were more common) is a reason not to wait too long.

PS - For those in SF, my rather non-micro DJ nights this month can be investigated at the link below.

NP - Candy Lo

Joshua Maremont / Thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boxman Studies Label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/