Re: [microsound] Ae/606 interview

> I am not a fan of the 4 floor music, I find it to be such a cop out for this style of music, I still can only listen to about 4 tracks of the latest Clicks 3cd...man that is a disappointing release, supermarket glitch

that's been my problem with the latest edition of mutek.  i mean,
minimal house is fine & all, but right now mutek is not living up to its
motto.  unless "new technologies" stands for "repetitive 4/4 beats"?
there are plenty of artists nowadays who use a laptop, & many even do
beats, they just don't invariably go
"boom-tss-boom-tss-boom-tss-boom-tss".  but where were them?  i think
the only acts in the whole festival who didn't play house were goem &
kapotte muziek...  at least last year there was deupree, chartier,
st-onge, the first half of vladislav delay, even tomas jirku's
arrhythmic "transitions" :) not to mention pole & kit clayton who don't
usually do house even though they use some of the same sounds (only better).

i guess my point is that if you're going to play nothing but house music
(be it "advanced" house music *cough* like thomas brinkmann's mutek sets
*cough*), at least have the decency not to monopolize the avant-garde
tag...  there are so many people who do music which is far more
"advanced" than anything i've heard this year...

personally, my favorite mutek show was an off-mutek event taking place
at the always-reliable casa del popolo with leon lo opening with a bunch
of entrancing, ultrarepetitive (!) loops which sounded like modern
classical... & no beats!  & tomas jirku played the most rewarding house
set i've heard during the whole week.  (his actual mutek set had good
moments in the beginning, but it got lazy during the second half.)

anyway, there's plenty of good things brewing in montréal, it would be
good if they didn't go to waste...  perhaps the people in EX-CENTRIS
might like to consider that?

as for clicks+cuts 2 i haven't even bothered to give it a listen, if
it's anything like the first one it would have been another wasted
$30...  but i don't like compilations most of the time (especially when
they're so consistently the same boring thing throughout) so your
mileage may, in fact, vary.

could it be that the big question about minimalism is that since it's so
cheap, why does it have to cost so much?

~ david