Re: [microsound] endless fennesz

At 08:06 PM 6/15/01 -0400, david turgeon wrote:
maybe it's just me, but isn't experimentation about being more than one-dimensional?

Indeed. It seems largely a question of context. In a Pop Music Orthodoxy, a touch of granular synthesis might be radical and experimental. But in an Experimental Music Orthodoxy, pop seems to be radical and experimental in its own way. To me experimental music has more to do with breaking down the barriers between styles and ideas and techniques than with erecting them. How experimental can music be, after all, if no-one is even slightly rattled by the sounds. Igor Stravinsky started a riot with his noise once. But you know, the Rice Crispies - Snap, Crackle, and Pop - all spin in the same club sometimes, explanatory liner notes notwithstanding, and the sound is rather nice.

np - Manuel Gottsching "E2-E4"

Joshua Maremont / Thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boxman Studies Label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/