Eno vs Laptop (redux)

>yeah but in the case of Eno he's simply expressing his opinion which is as
>valid as anyone elses.  I think if he didn't hold such an exhalted position
>in the mythology of electronic music that we might be more willing to accept
>his opinion at face value.  He excersizes his will the same as anyone else.
>What Eno does with his time does not validate or invalidate what you do with
>your time.

the problem I have with with Eno's truisms is that he tends to jump on
bandwagons like Generative Music (caps intended), gets exposure with some
soundbites that he milks for a year or two and then condradicts himself in
public by denouncing anything emanating from above the waist (I'm assuming
that the index finger is above the waist for most of us on this list) as
being the problem with computers...he strikes me as someone who likes to
cash in on his press-stance as a "computer wizzard" rather than work
through current issues surrounding digital media...case in point: now that
he is working with a German DJ he is back on the "computers aren't funky
enough" kick as opposed to his "someday people will wonder why we listened
to the same piece of music over and over again"...it doesn't strike me as
expressing an opinion but more like expressing a new schtick...
as an public figure I'm sure that his publicty person is always looking for
a "story" to keep him visible in the press...