taylor deupree will make you happy (hopefully)

mmmm... the newest taylor deupree _occur_ (12k) certainly makes me happy. it has more or less the same feel as two albums i very much like, hecker's _[ot] xackpy breakpoint_ & shirt trax' _good news about space_ (which i've previously rambled about here & elsewhere, but what can i do, they are very singular...) except with "improved" (or at least different) production methods.

if shirt trax might seem too "simple" & hecker too "flat", _occur_ shows deupree's precision in coining just the right sound so it feels like it's always belonged there, all this with plenty of depth, inhabiting a surprisingly calm atmosphere. while a lot of so-called "complex" microsound improv sounds to me, ironically enough, like ambient music, _occur_ is inversely, an "ambient"-like recording which gets one's attention without effort.

yet, it could have probably gotten more complex (hecker) or exhaustive (shirt trax). the abstraction & lack of predictability is still what gets me most interested in projects like these. though needless to say, abstraction & sound research (yes! microsound!) are probably better heard combined, as is the case with this CD... so i won't complain too hard. :)

all in all, a nice & all-too-rare attempt to push the microsound edge towards new fields. i'm not so sure i'll be as thrilled by deupree's next album (a "polar opposite" to _occur_ described as "a work of intense repetition") but then again, deupree doesn't seem to me like a composer who will shy away at sounding "off" every so often... even his "club" music may never sound groundbreaking, but neither is it ever generic...

oh, & the cover design is damn slick!

~ david